Buying a property in France can seem a little daunting, especially as the buying process is very different to the UK system and sometimes the language can been seen as a barrier. Over the last 7 years, we have successfully helped over 350 people find the right property; we have guided them through the buying process and have helped them get the most from their new home in the Southern Limousin and Northern Dordogne.
Our commitment to you even before you view
Before we take a property for sale we will ensure that;
• We have inspected all necessary paperwork relating to the property before taking it for sale
• We have written agreement from each owner to sell the property at the advertised price.
• We only advertise properties that are currently for sale.
How do we work?
In partnership with you,
• We speak your language as we have a fully bi-lingual team.
• We listen very carefully to your wants and wishes and select only the properties that correspond to your wish list.
• We seek feedback after each property, allowing us to be flexible in the choice of property you will view during your time with us.
• During the initial contact and depending on the number of properties we have to show you, we may suggest booking a 2 day appointment with us.
We will endeavour to show you the best properties which we have for sale fitting your requirements.
At the end of the day it is only you who will decide which property you are going to buy; once the decision has been made and the offer has been accepted we will guide you through the buying process.
A quick note on the viewing trip
We understand that if you are coming over to France on a viewing trip, you’ll want to fit in as much as possible. However please bear in mind, property hunting is more tiring than you think and please don’t try and fit in too much in your time away.
• Plan which area you are going to spend the day in
• Try to book only one agent a day.
• Give yourself time during the trip to reflect on what you’ve seen and allow yourself the flexibility to make a second visit on your favourite property
• It’s no fun for small children, if at all possible see if you can come out on your own, you’ll find it less stressful and the children will definitely have more fun at home.
The buying process
Once an offer has been accepted, it is necessary for the vendor to have some diagnostic reports undertaken on the property by an independent expert. Which reports will depend on the age and type of the property and its situation and can include some or all of the following;
• Asbestos report
• Lead report (paintwork only)
• Electric report
• Energy efficiency report
• Gas report
• Termite report
• Risk report(natural and /or technological)
We will advise you at the time which ones will be undertaken.
On completion of the diagnostic reports the Compromis de Vente,(the first contract) can be drawn up and signed by both the vendors and the buyers. At the time of signing the compromis de vente, 10% of the purchase price will need to be paid as a deposit. Once all parties have signed the contract, you will receive a 7 day ‘cooling off’ period. If you sign whilst in France, the 7 days will start the day after signing the initial contract; if you sign once you are back home, the 7 days will start the day after you receive a registered letter to your home address.
Once the 7 days has passed, the Notaire will verify all of the details and will undertake all the necessary searches.
The process will take about 3 months in total from start to finish, during this time we will keep you updated with what is going on, arranging the final signing date, tell you when you need to transfer the final balance, help organise home insurance and set you up with an appointment with a French bank to open an account.
On final signing day, we will attend the signing with you at the Notaire’s office, ensuring you understand what is going on and by the end of it, you will walk away with an attestation, certificate of sale, to prove you are the new legal owner and the keys to your new property!
Our help doesn’t end there
Just before the signing we will go to the property and read the electricity and water meters, after the signing we will then put them into your name and arrange for the bills to be sent to your permanent residence.
We have numerous contacts and phone numbers for many local and UK businesses including
• Local artisans (tradesmen)
• Property & Garden maintenance contractors
• French banks with English speaking advisors
• French registered surveyors,
• Mortgage brokers
• Foreign currency dealers
• French insurance companies
• Local translators
• French lessons
In fact just ask and we’ll do our best to point you in the right direction.